MAKE YOUR MUSIC MAKE MONEY
Building a music career in the digital era
If you want to make a living making music, you couldn’t have come at a better time. The record industry is in recovery, and growing again.
And it’s never been easier to control your own destiny, build your own career, do the thing you love.
And if you want to learn how to do it, you couldn’t have come to a better place.
In this book we will show you how, armed with nothing more than a laptop, some talent and a decent work ethic, you can write and record your music; build a profile; and access a worldwide sales infrastructure to allow you to make money from your music.
In Make Your Music Make Money we break down the jargon and offer the ultimate, bang-up-to-the-moment guide to turning ideas and passion into a brand and money-making enterprise through a series of self-help style chapters, including:
- The Music Business: Historic overview of how things were, how technology has always driven progress, and why we are where we are now.
- How Music Makes Money For You: Unravelling the complexities of royalties and detailing every income opportunity to exploit, from streaming to branded T-shirts.
- Your Brand: It’s never enough to make great music. It has to be heard. We explain how to develop ‘Brand You’ and craft a captivating Story that will generate fans, likes, and listens.
- Spreading The Word: Engaging with social media; writing a press releases; building an Electronic Press Kit. Grow your fanbase, step-by-step, from one to 100,000.
- Taking Care Of Business: The hows and whys of accounting for a growing music enterprise, from tax returns to allowable expenses, and how to stay out of trouble.
- Your Team: What does a manager do? When will you need a lawyer? What does a plugger plug? And will you really need a book-keeper? Meet your dream team and learn what to expect from them.
- The Record Deal: For many artists the ‘Deal’ is the holy grail. But what kind of deal? When should you sign (and when should you not?). What are the benefits of signing with a major or an indie? And can you go it alone? No-nonsense insights from those who’ve trod the path to stardom.
- The Publishing Deal: What does a Music Publisher do, and why do you need one?
Guides to the music business proliferate, confusingly.
But this is a unique and practical view, from an author who’s seen the industry from all angles - Top 10 artist; Music Week journalist; A&R man; songwriter; producer; and now mentor. Advocating a hands-on approach, we outline the State of the Musical Nation; and concentrate on the strands that have always been essential to becoming a success, and which you can now, largely, tie together yourself.
Whether you read it from start to finish; or dip into each chapter as your career progresses, Make Your Music Make Money is likely to be the best investment a career-minded musician ever made.